It's an obvious conclusion that car insurance companies don't want you to look at other companies. Consumers who shop around for a cheaper policy are very likely to buy a new policy because there are good odds of finding a more affordable policy premium. A recent insurance study discovered that consumers who compared rates annually saved about $3,400 over four years compared to those who didn't regularly shop around.
If finding budget-friendly rates on car insurance is your intention, knowing the best ways to find and compare coverages can help make the process easier.
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to find cheaper prices for auto insurance rates is to begin comparing prices regularly from insurers who can sell car insurance in Detroit.
- First, take a few minutes and learn about how companies set rates and the measures you can take to lower rates. Many factors that increase rates like high-risk driving behaviors and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Later in this article we will cover additional tips to get cheaper coverage and find possible discounts that are available.
- Second, obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can quote prices for a wide range of companies. View prices
- Third, compare the quotes to your current policy premium and determine if cheaper ILX coverage is available in Detroit. If you find better rates and decide to switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
The key aspect of shopping around is to try to use identical limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to compare as many different companies as possible. Doing this guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
Finding a better price on auto insurance is a great way to save money. The only thing you need to do is spend a few minutes to get quotes to find the company with affordable Detroit car insurance quotes.
Online shopping is fast and free, and it replaces the need to drive around to all the different Detroit insurance agencies. Comparing Acura ILX insurance rate quotes online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you want the personal advice that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. It is possible to obtain prices from the web and still use a local agent.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer free rate quotes in Detroit, MI. If you wish to find cheaper auto insurance in Michigan, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them in order to find the most competitive rates.
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the high cost, maintaining insurance is mandatory in Michigan but it also protects more than you think.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability insurance if you want to drive legally. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your ILX, it's most likely the lender will have a requirement that you buy insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank may insure your Acura for a much higher rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance protects both your car and your assets. It will also reimburse you for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance outweigh the cost, especially for larger claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Detroit overpays as much as $850 per year so it's important to compare rates at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Get cheaper Acura ILX insurance in Detroit with discounts
Buying insurance is not cheap, but companies offer discounts that you may not know about. Some discounts apply automatically at quote time, but once in a while a discount must be specifically requested before they will apply. If you are not receiving all the discounts possible, you're paying more than you need to.
- Theft Deterrent - Cars and trucks that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft so companies will give you a small discount.
- Smart Student Discounts - Maintaining excellent grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
- Multiple Cars - Purchasing coverage when you have multiple cars with the same company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Senior Discount - Drivers that qualify as senior citizens could receive better insurance rates.
- Cautious Driver Discounts - Insureds without accidents may save up to 50% more as compared to drivers with claims.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll and complete driver's education as it can save substantially.
- Multi-policy Discount - If you can bundle your auto and home insurance with the same company you will save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Active or former government employment may qualify for a discount when you quote Detroit car insurance with certain companies.
- Membership in Organizations - Being in a civic or occupational organization in Detroit can get you a small discount on insurance.
- Detroit Homeowners Discount - Just owning your own home can save you money because it requires a higher level of personal finance.
It's important to note that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, insurance companies aren't that generous.
A list of insurance companies and some of the discounts are shown below.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including multi-vehicle, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, multi-policy, military active duty, anti-theft, and seat belt use.
- Travelers has savings for hybrid/electric vehicle, home ownership, payment discounts, multi-car, good student, multi-policy, and driver training.
- Farm Bureau may have discounts that include 55 and retired, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, good student, youthful driver, and renewal discount.
- Liberty Mutual discounts include new vehicle discount, good student, hybrid vehicle, exclusive group savings, new move discount, and newly retired.
- American Family offers discounts including mySafetyValet, defensive driver, air bags, multi-vehicle, TimeAway discount, bundled insurance, and accident-free.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, online signing, continuous coverage, online quote discount, and good student.
It's a good idea to ask every insurance company the best way to save money. Some credits may not apply in Detroit. To locate insurance companies with discount rates in Michigan, click here to view.
Buying from insurance agencies
A lot of people just prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is a smart decision Professional agents are highly skilled in risk management and help submit paperwork. An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get lower rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting local insurance agencies is definitely important in Detroit.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, your insurance data is emailed to local insurance agents who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You don't have to search for an agent due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. If you wish to compare prices for a specific company, you can always find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
If you want to use a local agent, there are two different agency structures and how they are slightly different. Insurance agencies are categorized either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either type can handle insurance, but it's a good idea to understand the difference between them because it can impact your selection of an agent.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not restricted to one company so they can write business with an assortment of companies and find you cheaper rates. If they find a cheaper price, they simply move the coverage in-house and you won't have to switch agencies.
When comparing rate quotes, you absolutely need to get several quotes from at a minimum one independent agency in order to have the best price comparison.
Shown below are Detroit independent insurance agencies that may be able to provide free rate quotes.
C B Irwin Insurance
2357 W Grand Blvd - Detroit, MI 48208 - (313) 894-2144 - View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel work for only one company like Farmers Insurance and State Farm. These agents are unable to shop your coverage around so they have no alternatives for high prices. These agents are well schooled on their company's products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Detroit who can help you get price quote information.
Michelle Sims - State Farm Insurance Agent
24970 W Outer Dr - Lincoln Park, MI 48146 - (313) 928-1348 - View Map
Finding a good auto insurance agent requires more thought than just a cheap quote. Here are some questions to ask:
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Detroit?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- If your car is totaled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
Insurance coverage specifics
Learning about specific coverages of your policy aids in choosing the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Shown next are the usual coverages found on the average insurance policy.
Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered claims include hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your Acura ILX.
Due to the fact that many Michigan drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (which is 20/40/10), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Most of the time the UM/UIM limits are set the same as your liability limits.
This provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property in an accident. It protects YOU against claims from other people. Liability doesn't cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see liability limits of 20/40/10 that means you have a limit of $20,000 per injured person, $40,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $10,000 paid for damaged property. Some companies may use one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which provides one coverage limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability insurance covers claims like repair bills for other people's vehicles, medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of income and bail bonds. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but you should buy as large an amount as possible. Michigan state law requires minimum liability limits of 20/40/10 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
The next chart demonstrates why buying minimum limits may not be enough coverage.
This pays for damage to your ILX resulting from a collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as hitting a parking meter, hitting a mailbox and sideswiping another vehicle. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. It's also possible to choose a higher deductible on your ILX to save money on collision insurance.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like theft, hail damage, vandalism and damage from flooding. The highest amount a insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle's value is low it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Medical costs insurance
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage pay for bills for nursing services, dental work, pain medications, X-ray expenses and chiropractic care. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover both the driver and occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Compare auto insurance rates regularly to save
Lower-priced Acura ILX insurance in Detroit can be bought online and with local Detroit insurance agents, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture. Some auto insurance companies may not offer online rate quotes and these small, regional companies prefer to sell through local independent agencies.
As you quote Detroit car insurance, do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret they didn't have enough coverage. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
More tips and info about auto insurance can be found at these sites:
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Seniors in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 70 in Detroit? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Electric Cars in Detroit? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Nissan Altima in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota RAV4 in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)