Truthfully, the best way to find cheaper quotes for Dodge Durango insurance is to compare prices once a year from insurers who sell auto insurance in Detroit. You can shop around by completing these steps.
- First, take a few minutes and learn about how insurance companies determine prices and the measures you can take to drop your rates. Many risk factors that increase rates like traffic citations and poor credit can be remedied by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Read the full article for the details to get low prices and find overlooked discounts.
- Second, compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Third, compare the quotes to your existing rates to see if a cheaper price is available in Detroit. If you can save money, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, give notification to your agent or company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment to your new agent or company. As soon as you receive it, keep your new proof of insurance paperwork in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
One bit of advice is to use identical limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get price quotes from as many car insurance companies as possible. This guarantees a fair rate comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
We don't have to point out that fact that insurance companies don't want you to look for cheaper rates. Drivers who shop around for the cheapest rate will presumably switch auto insurance companies because the odds are good of finding discount prices. A recent survey found that drivers who compared rates once a year saved as much as $3,450 over four years compared to people who never compared other company's rates.
If finding the best price on Dodge Durango insurance in Detroit is the reason you're here, then knowing how to choose a company and compare coverages can help make the process easier.
If you're already insured or need new coverage, you can use these techniques to reduce premiums while maximizing coverage. Our goal in writing this article help educate you on the best way to buy inexpensive car insurance and also save some money in the process Consumers just need to learn the best way to shop for car insurance online.
Getting cheap Dodge Durango insurance pricing is not rocket science. Drivers just need to take a couple of minutes comparing price quotes to discover which company has the cheapest Dodge Durango rate quotes.
The companies in the list below provide free quotes in Michigan. To buy cheap car insurance in Michigan, it's a good idea that you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Three good reasons to insure your vehicle
Despite the high insurance cost for a Dodge Durango in Detroit, maintaining insurance serves an important purpose.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability protection in order to be legal. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Durango has a loan, it's most likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you have insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Dodge for a much higher rate and make you pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your car and your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. The average driver in Michigan overpays more than $700 annually so smart consumers compare quotes at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Dodge Durango Insurance Premiums Can Be Reduced
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the things that help calculate your premiums. When you understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that can earn you better car insurance rates.
The itemized list below are some of the most rate-impacting factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set rates.
- Gender impacts premiums - Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that females take fewer risks when driving. This data doesn't prove that males are worse at driving than females. Both sexes have at-fault accidents in similar numbers, but guys cause more damage. Men also get ticketed for serious violations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly. Male drivers age 16 to 19 cause the most accidents and therefore have the most expensive car insurance rates.
- Add-on coverages that aren't used - Insurance companies have many extra coverages you can purchase when buying car insurance. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, accidental death, and extra equipment coverage could be just wasting money. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so remove them from your policy.
- Credit rating impacts premiums - A driver's credit score is a large factor in calculating your premium rate. So if your credit is low, you could potentially save money when insuring your Dodge Durango by taking the time to improve your credit score. Insureds that have high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than drivers with poor credit scores.
- Liability insurance limits are a factor - The liability coverage on your policy will provide protection if ever you are responsible for personal injury or accident damage. Liability insurance provides legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to other policy coverages, so do not cut corners here.
- Never let your car insurance policy lapse - Having an insurance coverage lapse will be a sure-fire way to increase your car insurance rates. Not only will you pay higher rates, being ticketed for driving with no insurance can result in a steep fine or even jail time.
- Higher coverage deductibles lower rates - Physical damage coverage, aka comp and collision, protects your Dodge from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be running into the backend of another car, hail damage, or theft. The deductibles you choose represent how much money the insured will be required to pay if the claim is covered. The more of the claim you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the lower your rates will be.
- Bundle policies with the same company - Lots of insurers allow discounts to customers who buy several policies from them. It's known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even with this discount applied, it's still a good idea to comparison shop to help guarantee you have the best rates.
Insurance loss statistics a Dodge Durango - Insurance companies analyze past claim statistics when setting premium rates. Models that statistically have a higher amount or frequency of claims will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The table shown below demonstrates the collected loss data for Dodge Durango vehicles. For each coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles compiled together is equal to 100. Numbers that are below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while values that are above 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or statistically larger losses.
Dodge Durango Insurance Loss Statistics Specific Dodge Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Dodge Durango 4dr 2WD 88 110 91 104 90 100 Dodge Durango 4dr 4WD 90 115 97 92 93 102BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Take advantage of these discounts
Insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but there's a good chance there are discounts to help offset the cost. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at the time of quoting, but a few need to be asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Claim Free - Claim-free drivers pay less as opposed to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Accident Forgiveness - Not really a discount, but certain companies will allow you to have one accident without the usual rate increase so long as you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Good Students Pay Less - Maintaining excellent grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Require your teen driver to enroll in driver's education if it's offered in school.
- Mature Driver Discount - Older drivers can possibly qualify for a slight reduction on a Detroit car insurance quote.
- Anti-theft Discount - Cars optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
Policy discounts save money, but some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it's just not the way it works.
To view insurers offering insurance discounts in Detroit, click here to view.
Different people need different insurance coverages
When choosing coverage, there really isn't a "perfect" insurance plan. Each situation is unique and your policy should reflect that. For example, these questions could help you determine whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- Do I need replacement cost coverage?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Is a driver training discount available?
- Am I insured when driving a different vehicle?
- Should I file a claim if it's only slightly more than my deductible?
- Does my Dodge Durango qualify for pleasure use?
- What is glass protection for?
- How do I buy GAP insurance?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
If you're not sure about those questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Get rate quotes but work with a neighborhood Detroit auto insurance agent
Some people would rather get advice from a local agent and often times that is recommended Professional agents can point out coverage gaps and help you file claims. An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find cheaper car insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to. Supporting local agencies is still important in Detroit.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, your information is sent to agents in your area who can give free rate quotes for your business. You won't even need to leave your computer since rate quotes are delivered directly to you. If for some reason you want to quote rates from a particular provider, you can always visit that company's website and fill out the quote form the provide.
When finding a reliable agent, it's important to understand the different types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Auto insurance agents in Detroit are considered either independent or exclusive. Either can sell and service auto insurance coverage, but it is a good idea to know how they differ since it could factor into the type of agent you choose.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type do not have single company limitations so as a result can place your coverage with lots of companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply switch companies in-house which is easy for the insured.
When comparing rates, you will definitely want to contact at a minimum one independent agency to have the most options to choose from. Many write coverage with smaller regional carriers who may have lower rates.
The following are Detroit independent agents that can possibly get you free auto insurance rate quotes.
600 Renaissance Center # 2100 - Detroit, MI 48243 - (313) 393-6800 - View Map
- Advasure Insurance
13600 W 8 Mile Rd C - Detroit, MI 48205 - (313) 521-0300 - View Map
- Diebold Detroit Insurance Agency
1420 Broadway St #101 - Detroit, MI 48226 - (313) 964-3750 - View Map
Exclusive agencies normally can only provide a single company's rates and examples are AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. Exclusive agents are highly trained on the products they sell and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Some people will only use the same agent primarily because of high brand loyalty and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Shown below are Detroit exclusive agencies who can help you get price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance: Shauna Johnson
18711 Grand River Ave - Detroit, MI 48223 - (313) 272-2020 - View Map
- State Farm - Eric Huffman
3031 W Grand Blvd #568 - Detroit, MI 48202 - (313) 875-3172 - View Map
- Charlotte Knight - State Farm Insurance Agent
7100 W Seven Mile Rd - Detroit, MI 48221 - (313) 340-9000 - View Map
Finding a good insurance agent requires more thought than just the bottom line cost. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
Affordable coverage is out there
You just read some good ideas how you can find affordable Dodge Durango insurance in Detroit. It's most important to understand that the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the best price on car insurance is with the smaller companies. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
Some companies don't offer price quotes online and most of the time these regional carriers sell through independent agents. More affordable car insurance in Detroit can be found from both online companies and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
Additional car insurance information can be found below:
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)
- Who Has Cheap Detroit Car Insurance Quotes for Police Officers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Detroit Car Insurance Quotes for Government Employees? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Detroit Auto Insurance Rates for a Honda CR-V? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for 19 Year Olds in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- Self-driving cars won't replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)